Parc de la Tête d’Or is a public park located in the heart of Lyon, France. It is one of the largest urban parks in Europe and covers an area of 117 hectares. It is also home to a variety of flora and fauna, and is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike.
The park was originally created in 1857 as part of the expansion of the city of Lyon. The park was named after the golden head of a statue of Louis XIV, which was originally located in the park. The statue was destroyed in 1792 during the French Revolution, but the name of the park has remained.
Since its inception, the park has gone through numerous changes and renovations. In the early 20th century, the park was divided into two parts: the formal gardens and the English-style park. In the 1960s, a large lake was added to the park, and the park was opened to the public in 1975.
The park is home to a variety of attractions, including:
- The Zoo: The park is home to a large zoo, which is home to over 200 species of animals. It is one of the most popular attractions in the park.
- The Rose Garden: The park is also home to a beautiful rose garden, which features over 4,000 varieties of roses.
- The Lake: The park’s large lake is home to a variety of fish and aquatic animals, and is a popular destination for boating and fishing.
- The Botanical Garden: The park is home to a large botanical garden, which is home to over 10,000 species of plants.
- The Museum of Fine Arts: The park is home to a museum of fine arts, which features a variety of works of art from around the world.
The park hosts a variety of events throughout the year, including concerts, festivals, and art exhibitions. It is also home to a number of cultural events, such as the Festival de la Tête d’Or, which is a popular music and arts festival that takes place every year.
The park is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike, and there are a variety of activities to enjoy. These include:
- Walking and Cycling: The park is home to a number of walking and cycling trails, which are popular with both locals and tourists.
- Boating and Fishing: The park’s lake is a popular destination for boating and fishing, and there are a variety of boats and fishing equipment available for hire.
- Picnicking: The park is a popular destination for picnicking, and there are a number of picnic tables located throughout the park.
- Gardening: The park is home to a variety of gardens, and there are a number of gardening classes and activities available.
The park is easily accessible by public transport, and there is a metro station located nearby. The park is also accessible by car, and there is a large car park located at the entrance of the park.
The park is open from 8am to 10pm every day of the year.